nanog mailing list archives

Re: Online games stealing your bandwidth

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:47:34 +0800

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010, Matthew Walster wrote:

I once read an article talking about making BitTorrent scalable by
using anycasted caching services at the ISP's closest POP to the end
user. Given sufficient traffic on a specified torrent, the caching
device would build up the file, then distribute that direct to the
subscriber in the form of an additional (preferred) peer. Similar to a
CDN or Usenet, but where it was cached rather than deliberately pushed
out from a locus.

Was anything ever standardised in that field? I imagine with much of
P2P traffic being (how shall I put this...) less than legal, it's of
questionable legality and the ISPs would not want to be held liable
for the content cached there?

I don't recall any protocols being standard.

Plenty of people sell p2p caches but they all work using magic, smoke
and mirrors.

Adrian

--
- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -