nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () bfk de>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:55:19 +0000

* Leo Bicknell:

Rather than network neutrality, I'd simply like to see truth in
advertising applied.  If my provider advertises "8 Mbps" service
then I should be able to get 8 Mbps from Google, or Yahoo, or you,
or anyone else on the network, provided of course they have also
purchased an 8 Mbps or higher plan from their provider.

The interesting question is not so much bandwidth, but if the traffic
counts against your monthly usage cap.  For IPTV offered by your ISP,
it won't.  Likewise for Internet video platforms where your ISP has
obtained an ad-sharing deal.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer () bfk de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99