nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:20:20 +0200 (CEST)

don't decide without thinking it through that you're assigning a
customer a /64 a /60 a /56 or even /48. this should be defensible as
part of a business plan, otherwise what's the point?

A /48 is defensible. It's the architecturally intended end-site configuration,
it is allowed by policy, and, it is a reasonable starting point. There is no
real reason to assign less than a /48 to any end-site other than hyper-
conservatism due to IPv4-think.

I still haven't seen any good argument for why residential users need
/48s. No, I don't think "that makes all the address assignments the
same size" is a particularly relevant or convincing argument.

We're doing /56 for residential users, and have no plans to change
this.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no