nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

From: Lee <ler762 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 07:30:00 -0400

On 10/19/10, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

On Oct 18, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

On 10/18/2010 1:20 PM, sthaug () nethelp no wrote:

I still haven't seen any good argument for why residential users need
/48s. No, I don't think "that makes all the address assignments the
same size" is a particularly relevant or convincing argument.

We're doing /56 for residential users, and have no plans to change
this.

+1

This not only makes pop assignments easier, it gives a much larger prefix
rotation pool. Don't start the flame on rotating prefixes being evil. It's
my implementation to at least give customers some chance at prefix
privacy.

What if your customers don't want prefix privacy and prefer, instead, to
have the option of accessing their resources remotely, setting up mobile-IP
home gateways, and any of the other functions that come from static
prefixes?

Why does it have to be one or the other?  Isn't it possible to hand
out a static assignment so that users can access their resources
remotely as well as handing out a rotating prefix that changes every
so often so that users have 'some chance at prefix privacy.'

Lee