nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

From: "Durand, Alain" <alain_durand () cable comcast com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:43:44 -0500

On 1/16/10 8:03 AM, "Jim Burwell" <jimb () jsbc cc> wrote:

Could well be the case.  My idea was that you could do it either way.
You could have a DS-Lite gateway (Typical.  Likely built into the "cable
modem" or similar device), or in the case where no gateway is available,
a DS-Lite "client" (basically a virtual nic/tunnel driver) on the
machine would establish the tunnel and an IPv4 address itself.  But
perhaps this latter method was never intended?

You mean, tunnel directly to the end host?
We have been thinking about extensions to allow that 'short-cut', AFTR-less
mode. It is doable if you can establish a 1 to 1 mapping between the IPv4
and the IPv6 address **and** you find a way for host A to figure out host
B's IPv4 and IPv6 addresses...

  - Alain.