nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () jsbc cc>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:00:36 -0800

On 1/14/2010 11:10, Cameron Byrne wrote:
Folks,

My question to the community is:  assuming a network based IPv6 to IP4
translator is in place (like NAT64 / DNS64), are IPv6-only Internet
services viable as a product today?  In particular, would it be
appropriate for a 3G /smartphone or wireless broadband focused on at
casual (web and email) Internet users?  Keep in mind, these users have
NAT44 today.

You may also want to read up on Dual Stack Lite (DS-Lite)
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-02>,
presuming you haven't.  I know you mentioned you didn't like any
dual-stack solutions, but the thing about DS-Lite I like is that it has
no problem with RFC1918 overlap of different customers, since the CGN
uses a tunnel ID in the connection/NAT table in addition to the other
typical data.  I just wonder how it will scale, since each device, or a
gateway the device goes though, will require a IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnel to
the CGN box(es).  Also, it doesn't require a DNS-ALG like NAT64/DNS64.