nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () jsbc cc>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 05:03:44 -0800

On 1/15/2010 23:45, Owen DeLong wrote:

On Jan 15, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Jim Burwell wrote:

Sorry for late response here...

On 1/14/2010 15:20, Cameron Byrne wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Jim Burwell <jimb () jsbc cc
<mailto:jimb () jsbc cc>> wrote:

On 1/14/2010 11:10, Cameron Byrne wrote:

Folks,

My question to the community is:  assuming a network based IPv6 to IP4
translator is in place (like NAT64 / DNS64), are IPv6-only Internet
services viable as a product today?  In particular, would it be
appropriate for a 3G /smartphone or wireless broadband focused on at
casual (web and email) Internet users?  Keep in mind, these users have
NAT44 today.

You may also want to read up on Dual Stack Lite (DS-Lite)
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-02>,

I have looked at DS-lite very carefully.   First, DS-Lite fits better
for cable operators since they have CPE and can have a DS-lite
function in the CPE that they control, and that in turn allows them to
provide IPv4, IPv6, and dual-stack to the end-host that they do not
control.  DS-Lite does not fit as well for a mobile phones since it
would require a major change to the phone's OS.  Second, DS-Lite
requires tunneling as well as translation, so it is one more piece of
overhead in addition to NAT64 solution.  For me, i believe it is less
complex to manage a single stack IPv6 host with NAT64 translation than
a dual stack host, tunneling infrastructure, as well as NAT44 CGN,
which is what DS-lite requires.  They both achieve the same result,
but I believe in the mobile space there is a quicker time to market as
well as more progress toward the end-goal of IPv6-only using NAT64
than DS-lite.

I guess the choice here is between standing up and managing a NAT64 CGN
+ special DNS64 DNS server infrastructure, or a DS-Lite CGN + DS-Lite
tunneling infrastructure (you'd be able to keep existing "vanilla" DNS
servers).

As I understand DS-Lite, an IPv6-capable device is a DS-Lite capable
device
without any modification.  The DS-Lite Gateway does all the heavy lifting
to provide IPv4 services and do the NAT64 translation between the
IPv6-only
end-user device (phone) and the IPv4 internet.

Could well be the case.  My idea was that you could do it either way.
You could have a DS-Lite gateway (Typical.  Likely built into the "cable
modem" or similar device), or in the case where no gateway is available,
a DS-Lite "client" (basically a virtual nic/tunnel driver) on the
machine would establish the tunnel and an IPv4 address itself.  But
perhaps this latter method was never intended?