nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spamhaus...

From: Michelle Sullivan <matthew () sorbs net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:44:14 +0100

Crist Clark wrote:
We do not fit into that. We are not selling an appliance or service
to others (the 'Cuda is for our internal corporate email only, not
customers). If we were still using my home-built SpamAssassin system,
it'd be OK to use Spamhaus. Now that we've purchased an appliance
and manually added a Spamhaus to the user-customizable DNSBL list
on it, it's not OK?

I knew I had read it somewhere...
http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?section=Datafeed%20FAQ#153

Quote:
If you do not have a current Spamhaus Datafeed subscription, then you
are abusing Spamhaus's public DNSBL servers. If your email volume is
big enough that you need a Barracuda or similar spam filter appliance,
then you certainly CAN NOT use Spamhaus's free public DNSBL servers.

Contrary to what you may have been told by the nice appliance
salesman, Spamhaus does not have any agreement with Barracuda for the
use of Spamhaus DNSBLs with Barracuda appliances.

Because Spamhaus's public DNSBL servers get heavily abused by
companies with spam filter appliances, mostly Barracuda appliances,
Spamhaus has implemented a control system on the public DNSBL servers
to flag and firewall such users and Barracuda appliances in particular.

Michelle