nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spamhaus...

From: William Warren <hescominsoon () emmanuelcomputerconsulting com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:28:32 -0500

On 2/18/2010 12:50 PM, Crist Clark wrote:
On 2/18/2010 at 2:40 AM, Michelle Sullivan<matthew () sorbs net>  wrote:
Laczo, Louis wrote:
Folks,

I'm looking for comments / suggestions / opinions from any providers that
have been contacted by spamhaus about excessive queries originating from
their DNS resolvers, typically, as a proxy for customers. I know that certain
large DNS providers (i.e. google and level3) have either been banned or have
voluntarily blocked spamhaus queries by their resolvers. We're currently in
discussion with spamhaus and I wanted to see how others may have handled
this.

They seem to be doing that a lot of late.  They also contacted my
employer and demanded $100k/yr(?) for having a "Use Spamhaus RBL" in our
software.  Next version will not have the ability to query Spamhaus
unless a user configures it themselves in the "Custom RBL" settings.

Michelle

? = could have been more, not sure without checking with the CEO, result
was the same.
We received such a message from a Spamhaus Datafeed reseller
and eventually had our DNS servers blocked. What angered me was
that I analyzed our usage, and we were well below the thresholds
and met the TOS published at the Spamhaus website for no-cost use.
However, they said we had to subscribe to the Datafeed despite
that because we have a Barracuda appliance.

To me, it sounds like Barracuda customers are being singled
out in some conflict between Barracuda Networks and Spamhaus.
Spamhaus (via the reseller, MXTools) is leaning on Barracuda
customers hoping that they'll lean on Barracuda Networks so
that Barracuda Networks will do a deal at the corporate level
with Spamhaus.

Spamhaus does some good work, but being used as a pawn in
some conflict between vendors doesn't feel nice. And I want to
know how they figured out we had a Barracuda.

try using barracuda's own barbell(brbl) service..i don't know if it's built into your appliance. I have also found that greylisting(for me via postgrey) has done more than any rbl to nearly eliminate my spam.