nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:35:08 -0800

Mark Andrews wrote:
In message <498A3CA5.6060801 () internode com au>, Matthew Moyle-Croft writes:
Anthony Roberts wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:08:44 +1030, Matthew Moyle-Croft
<mmc () internode com au> wrote:

Let's face it - the current v6 assignment rules are to solve a 1990s set
of problems.  A /64 isn't needed now that we have DHCP(v6).

It's needed to prevent people from NATing in v6, as they'll still want
their stuff behind a firewall, and some of them will want subnets.

Why do we want to prevent people using NAT?   If people choose to use
NAT, then I have no issue with that.

This anti-NAT zealotism is tiring and misplaced.

      NAT's break lots of things and increase the development
      costs of every piece of network based software being written.

      If we could get a true accounting of the extra cost imposed
      by NAT's I would say it would be in the trillions of dollars.

      NAT's are a necessary evil in IPv4.  If every node that
      currently communicates to something the other side of a NAT
      was to have a global address then we would have already run
      out of IPv4 addresses.

      NAT's are not a necessary evil in IPv6.  Just stop being
      scared to renumber.  Addresses are not forever and when you
      design for that renumbering get easier and easier.

      For everything else there are alternate solutions.

Far too many people see NAT as synonymous with a firewall so they think
if you take away their NAT you're taking away the security of a firewall.

A *lot* of these problems we face are conceptual rather than technological.

~Seth