nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:33:12 -0800

Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

Anthony Roberts wrote:

I don't think there's any need for the ISP's routers to advertise all the
prefixes they delegate. They'll advertise the /48 or whatever it is, and
then delegate chunks out of that.

My apologies for not being clear:

As I posted just before in reply to MarkA - I'm hoping that for the
MAJORITY of customers that I can use PD and dynamic /64s (or whatever)
local to a BRAS.
My FEAR is that people ("customers") are going to start assuming that v6
means their own static allocation (quite a number are assuming this).
This means that I have a problem with routing table size etc if I have
to implement that.

Well, it is static, but like most static IP services offerd by an ISP,
if you leave you can't take your addresses with you. Even with DSL from
AT&T if you move locations you get a different subnet.

~Seth