nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

From: Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc () internode com au>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:52:54 +1030

TJ wrote:
However, many do not "have" DHCPv6 ... WinXP, MacOS, etc. are not capable.
Also - does DHCPv6 currently have an option for prefix length?  Just asking.
I'm under no allusion that a /64 is going to be optional - it's really too late which is sad. I think people have just latched onto it and now accept it and defend it without thinking about "is this still the answer?". Just because it's in an RFC doesn't mean it's still the right answer in a changing world.
WRT /64s (or really, /56s and /48s being assigned to clients) - note that
these are NOT static assignments permanently belonging to the client.  They
are hopefully dynamic, hopefully via DHCPv6-PD (hopefully
available/supported by then) ... similar to the single public IPv4 address
most of us dynamically get @home today.
Yep - that's what I'm hoping (as I've said and clarified). But I think the reality is that in the provider world, no matter what people here say, customer demand for an unchanging IPv6 range will increase not decrease - driving up provider routing size and complexity.
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia