nanog mailing list archives

Re: Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style) - path asumption

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:11:53 +0000

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:30:45AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:

On Dec 9, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Jens Link wrote:

Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:

I expect my connections to my mail server to actually reach my mail
server.  I use TLS and SMTP AUTH as well as IMAP/SSL.  Many of the "just
works" settings in question break these things badly.

One of my customers has an appliance for his WLAN guest access access
which filters out AAAA records. :-(

jens@bowmore:~$ dig AAAA www.quux.de @8.8.8.8 +short
jens@bowmore:~$

Wow... Yeah, that would definitely result in a lengthy conversation between
their tech. support department and me.

The ones that are even worse, though, are the ones that pass through AAAA
and do RA/SLAAC advertisements, but, don't provide IPv6 connectivity.

Owen

        why do you presume the DNS service is in the same path as the
        TLS/SSL?

        a loose reading of these posts might give the gullible the impression
        that the IP datagrams between the source and the target pass through
        the DNS server... which we -KNOW- is false.

--bill