nanog mailing list archives

Re: Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

From: Andrew Cox <andrew () accessplus com au>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:30:17 +1030

Yeah the iPhone changes were a bit of a pain, we had to build a second iPhone specific version of our login page because the iPhone "auto-login" feature won't allow more than 1 page to be loaded.

We would normally redirect users to the page they've originally requested after they click the login button as well as opening a status popup for them to logout and keep track of usage. Not on the iPhone thou, they're using a cut-down safari browser that won't allow more than 1 tab to load and worst of all, if you close off the page it simply disconnects from the wireless network.

Andrew

It's gotta be difficult for the hotspot networks.  Even at&t can't seem
to make it all work right even when they control both sides; I've seen
iPhones just hang when connecting to attwifi (and I can say I've seen
it not work in some way maybe even more often than I've seen it actually work). At least the iPhone seems to have some built-in support for this
sort of thing.  (Anybody know anything more about that?)

... JG