nanog mailing list archives

Re: Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:00:33 -0800

On Dec 8, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Andrew Cox wrote:

Owen DeLong wrote:

On Dec 8, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Andrew Cox wrote:

Sounds like a great idea in theory but would require OS support or a dual-hotspot setup that provided for both options until support was expected.
Until such time it's simply unworkable.

That and as mentioned in my previous post, the setup we have *just works* for users who don't have the permissions to change off of a static IP and use DHCP on their laptops.

And it just breaks for those of us who actually expect "internet access" to mean
access to the internet, not just the web.

I never said that the *just works* method stopped users from being able to use the internet. In fact catching users with bad IP address settings works just as well as sending them a DHCP address.

I expect my connections to my mail server to actually reach my mail server. I use TLS and SMTP AUTH as well as IMAP/SSL. Many of the "just works" settings in question
break these things badly.

Stop doing man in the middle attacks on my mail, or, expect me to be a support headache.
It's just that simple.
I make a habbit of calling support and pushing the issue hard through multiple layers until I finally get a management denial, then, demand refunds of my
connectivity charges every time I encounter this at a hotel.

I figure that the reason you guys deploy what "just works" as you put it is because it lowers your support costs, so, I do what I can to increase the support costs of
delivering a broken internet.

We're in no way in the business of providing half-baked services and likewise, I call up support for other providers if I end up with just web access.

Good... As long as you're not MITM my stuff, then, I won't be calling your support people. Perhaps I misunderstood your explanation of what you do to port 25 traffic that "just works".

Owen

I encourage others to do the same.

Owen