nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:14:03 -0400

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Jack Bates<jbates () brightok net> wrote:
jim deleskie wrote:

I agree we should all be telling the FCC that broadband is fiber to
the home.  If we spend all kinds of $$ to build a 1.5M/s connection to
homes, it's outdated before we even finish.

I disagree. I much prefer fiber to the curb with copper to the home. Of
course, I haven't had a need for 100mb/s to the house which I can do on
copper, much less need for gigabit.

Pro's for copper from curb:

1) power over copper for POTS
2) Majority of cuts occur on customer drops and copper is more resilient to
splicing by any monkey.

I have fiber to the home.  I can't imagine going back to "cable
modems" now.  eww..