nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:20:00 -0500

Leo Bicknell wrote:
My perception is that the rural telecom market is fragmented by many
smaller players, which amplifies this problem.

I have 12 ILEC and 1 CLEC under my umbrella. I can guarantee that not a single one is the same at the plant, equipment, or business level.

That being said, I think we are luckier than Bell, who has only a few dozen concentrated CO's in the state which feed the smaller CO's, or in some cases, entire towns are fed by double ended carrier (where 14.4 is considered the best connection one can hope for). We see unlicensed wireless in a lot of these places, but their customers honestly beg for better service.

Jack