nanog mailing list archives

Re: Data Center testing

From: Jeff Aitken <jaitken () aitken com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:13:14 +0000

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:45:07PM -0500, Frank Bulk - iName.com wrote:
There's more to data integrity in a data center (well, anything powered,
that is) than network configurations.

Understood and agreed.  My point was that induced failure testing isn't
the right way to catch incorrect or unauthorized config changes, which is
what I understood the original poster to have said was his problem.  My
apologies if I misunderstood what he was asking.

So while your analogy emphasizes the importance of having good processes in
place to catch the problems up front, it doesn't eliminate throwing the
switch.

Yup, and it's precisely why I suggested using planned maintenance events
as one way of doing at least limited failure testing.

--Jeff