nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:23:40 -0500

Joel Esler wrote:

I have fiber to the home.  I can't imagine going back to "cable
modems" now.  eww..

I couldn't imagine leaving my VDSL2. I've seen broadband sent to the house via fiber, coax, and copper. I've seen them all done well, and I've seen them all done poorly. All are capable of hitting >50mb/s.

I personally like copper for the splice and cost on drops as well as cost of NID/CPE.

Coax has a lot of bandwidth, but requires you to get as close as you would with copper to do it right and has other issues.

Fiber is the fastest and can run off fewer remote systems, but it has higher costs and maintenance issues.

I would probably run fiber in a densely populated area. In rural America, I would stick with copper off 1.5 mile short loop remotes. A lot depends on what the bandwidth is for. Most of the telco's I work with rarely have a corporate customer paying for more than 10mb/s.

Jack