nanog mailing list archives

Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

From: Jean-François Mezei <jfmezei () vaxination ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:04:19 -0400

Bill Nash wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can see some high dollar fist fights breaking
out for .sex, .porn, .games, .hotel, etc. It'll be like the .alt tree on
usenet for people with money. There may also be an actual fist fight over
TLDs like .irc, .leet, .goatse, and .krad. Maybe not .krad.

Say I am a pastry chef, and I pay $40 per year for "pastry.com", I got
it because I signed up early and now cherish my domain name. I am a
small business.

But now, some rich guy can come in and bid for .pastry

I have no money to participate in this endeavour, and no intentions of
running my own TLD. All I can do is voice an objection, but if the other
guy is also involved in food, he is likely to convince ICANN's comittees
that it is a legitimate request.

Then you end up with pastry.com being the original small business, and
.pastry being anything else. This will lead to a lot of confusion.

Yeah, for guys with deep pockets like yahoo, google, banks, GE and oil
companies, they won't even notice a dent in their wallets when they
register their own .TLD . For small businesses who worked early to get
THEY name attached to a .com, they now see the value of their domain
name evaporate because anyone else can now use a confusing variation of
it and you just don't have the money to bid/auction against them

I didn't have the time to carefully read all the documents that were
pointed to here, but are there any requirements for a TLD to operate a
true WHOIS server so people can easily verify the indetity of some site
using a new .TLD ?

(aka: to enable people to see that pastry.com is the original shop,
while www.pastry is some impostor who started a pastry shop that is
unrelated to pastry.com)