nanog mailing list archives

Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:46:11 -0400

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:23:28PM -0700, Scott Francis wrote:
that's exactly my point! it's _not_ reliable, but it's the behavior
that the average user has come to expect. If we can't even guarantee
reliability with the small handful of TLDs currently in use, when we
start introducing arbitrary new ones to anybody that can pay, I'm
concerned that it's going to make user support even more of a headache
(for those of us unfortunate enough to be involved in that role,
professionally or personally :))

That sounds like the "gun control will reduce gun crime" argument, to
me.  :-)

If there are enough *widely used* (generic) TLDs, then *people will stop
believing that ".com is the 'real' domain" (wasn't that Verisign's
sales pitch, once upon a time?).

Cheers
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+---------+            RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me