nanog mailing list archives

Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up

From: "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml () t-b-o-h net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:07:27 -0400 (EDT)

One way to provide protection is too allow those who have the domain portion
of any domain.(com|net|org|...) to have first dibs for the domain of any new
gTLD.  i.e. if nanog.org, nanog.com, nanog.net, etc. would have first dibs
on nanog.thisisgreatstuff.

Or is that too simplistic and fraught with division?

        I think the point some people are trying to make is that a person could
pony up the fees, get a new TLD, and then EXPECT ${FORTUNE_XXXX_COMPANY} to buy
theirname.NEWTLD . Instant market. Might even be able to make the investment back
the first year, and nice profit the subsequent ones just for companies keeping
their name protected.

                Tuc/TBOH