nanog mailing list archives

RE: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora'sBox of new TLDs)

From: "Matthew Huff" <mhuff () ox com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:35:04 -0400

that's exactly my point! it's _not_ reliable, but it's the behavior
that the average user has come to expect. If we can't even guarantee
reliability with the small handful of TLDs currently in use, when we
start introducing arbitrary new ones to anybody that can pay, I'm
concerned that it's going to make user support even more of a headache
(for those of us unfortunate enough to be involved in that role,
professionally or personally :))
--
darkuncle@{gmail.com,darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527
 http://darkuncle.net/pubkey.asc for public key

It's amusing to see companies actually profit from this behavior. The poker gambling sites know they can't advertise on
TV as a gambling site, so everyone of their ads mention *.net which is their play for free site. They know that a major
of people will instead go to their *.com website which isn't a free site.