nanog mailing list archives

Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:13:14 -0400

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:04:19PM -0400, Jean-Fran?ois Mezei wrote:
Bill Nash wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can see some high dollar fist fights breaking
out for .sex, .porn, .games, .hotel, etc. It'll be like the .alt tree on
usenet for people with money. There may also be an actual fist fight over
TLDs like .irc, .leet, .goatse, and .krad. Maybe not .krad.

Say I am a pastry chef, and I pay $40 per year for "pastry.com", I got
it because I signed up early and now cherish my domain name. I am a
small business.

But now, some rich guy can come in and bid for .pastry

I have no money to participate in this endeavour, and no intentions of
running my own TLD. All I can do is voice an objection, but if the other
guy is also involved in food, he is likely to convince ICANN's comittees
that it is a legitimate request.

Then you end up with pastry.com being the original small business, and
.pastry being anything else. This will lead to a lot of confusion.

I don't see that, and I don't see why a holder of pastry.com would have
any valid reason at all to block a .pastry TLD registry -- let's
remember; we're talking about registries here, not registrars.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra () baylink com

             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
               -- (Joseph Stalin)