nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

From: James <haesu () towardex com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:58:08 -0400

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 10:43:51AM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:

Matthew Crocker wrote:

I opened a billing/support ticket with Cogent.   I'm not planning  on
paying my bill or continuing the contract if they cannot  provide
full BGP tables and full Internet transport (barring  outages).
Luckily I have 2 other providers so I can still reach  Level 3.

I'm curious where in your contract you think Cogent guaranteed you
connectivity to Level 3?

Undereducated rant to follow...

While I realize that the "nuke survivable" thing is probably an old
wives tale, it seems ridiculous that "the Internet" can't adjust by
routing any packets that used to go directly from Cogent to Level 3
though some 3rd (and) 4th (and) 5th set of providers that are connected
in some fashion to both...

This isn't 6bone.  People don't give transit to everyone w/o being asked for or
otherwise being purchased for :)

James

--
James Jun