nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

From: Simon Lockhart <simon () slimey org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:19:31 +0100

On Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 10:43:51AM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:
Level 3 and Cogent can't be operating in a vacuums - if we can get to
Kevin Bacon in 6 degrees, Level 3 and Cogent should be able to get to
each other in under 30 hops through other providers.

And why isn't this apparently happening automatically? Pardon the
density of my brain matter here, but I thought that was what BGP was all
about?

Yes, it could have - I'm led to believe that one of the parties does purchase
transit. However, moving all that traffic over transit rather than peering
would cost them a significant amount of money - and as they're running their
transit service at extremely low cost, they probably would find it hard to
fund the use of transit to reach the other party.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *