nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:57:39 -0400

On Oct 5, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Todd Vierling wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Matthew Crocker wrote:

So perhaps the question you should be asking is: Why didn't routes for these networks fall over to the other upstream peers which *are* capable of moving the packets? Surely MCI, AT&T, Sprint, and others would carry the
packets to the right place.  I can see the paths right here....

They did, and I'm not down. I see Level 3 via Sprint and GNAPs/CENT just
fine.

No, I mean: Why didn't *your upstream's* routes fall back to *their* other
peers, who should be perfectly capable of transiting those packets?

Who is Level3's upstream?

Who is Cogent's upstream? (Actually, I know the answer to that, but it's for partial connectivity, not full)

You seem to be confusing peering with transit...