nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regulatory intervention

From: Todd Vierling <tv () duh org>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:32:02 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Erik Haagsman wrote:

Google will also push for laws that make ISPs and intermediaries liable for
the content contained on their servers. Google just indexes the information,
the search engine argued, and feels it is not its place to censor
information contained throughout the Web.

Ahhh....they feel they shouldn't sensor, and there I was thinking that
was Google's task in life. Very generous and what a great idea for new
laws that firmly put the blame on anyone but Google.

That wasn't my reason for citing it.  Neither Google *nor* intermediaries
should be responsible for illegal content -- to them, it's just bits moving.

The only responsibility that *either* one should bear is the ability to
provide an audit trail to the real culprit, no more.