nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regulatory intervention (Redux: Who is a Tier 1?)

From: Erik Haagsman <erik () we-dare net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:28:35 +0200

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 14:51 -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
<snip>
 Cogent, Open
 Level(3), Not public
 We Dare B.V., Open

So, what did your member organization do to resolve this partition.
Cut off Level(3)?  Sue them?

That particular member organisation has a policy of not interfering with
its members' peering policies.  It expects its members to send packets
only to people who explicitly asked for it over the shared
infrastructure (via announcements of prefixes via BGP), and to pay their
bills on time.

Arguably a very good thing.  IXs shouldn't be in the "enforcement"
business.  That's for governments.

Exactly the reason I don't want governments anywhere near an IX. Every
network connected to an IX should be allowed to enforce it's own
internal policies when connecting with other networks *without* a
governmental body trying to enforce certain rules and regulations. One
network only peers with a select few, the other only on basis of
bandwidth profile and some with as many peers as possible. Without one
telling the other what to do or someone sitting behind a desk trying to
come up with a Grand Unified Peering Policy that everyone should adhere
to. Fine by me.

(As you will remember, I was refuting his generalization that "private"
organizations are somehow preferable to "public" organizations.  It has
always been my preference to argue with specifics in hand.)

I never generalised, I merely pointed out that creating governmental
IX's has nog benefits compared to the current IX's. AMS-IX, DE-CIX,
LINX, etc. etc are open to everyone wanting to connect, that's public
enough for me, without having to be goverment controlled.

--
---
Erik Haagsman