nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT? /dev/null 5.1.1 email

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:04:54 -0400

On 7/6/2005 1:32 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

Make your secondary mx aware of all the valid recipient addresses.

Are there mechanisms in postfix or sendmail to do this automatically,
or should this be done out-of-band?  I've tried looking for this
feature, but found nothing; maybe I don't know the right terms to
search for.

Just about any MTA that is serious enough to be used also supports some
kind of networked database for recipient lookups. With postfix, check the
docs for local_recipient_maps. I don't remember how this is done in
Sendmail, but it's possible there too.

There can be a second step here, of separating the recipient lookups from
the known (local) delivery mailboxes. Getting the lookups and the remote
delivery to work together can be non-obvious and tricky. With postfix,
check http://www.postfix.org/LDAP_README.html for a discussion on using
virtual maps to make this work.