nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:19:59 -0500

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:25:27AM -0800, David Barak wrote:
most american PBX's don't have 911 as a dialplan.
you have to dial 9-911.

We work on different PBXes.  The ones on which I work
are specifically configured to respond to 911 OR 9-911
to avoid a problem.  Would YOU want to have been the
person who didn't enable one of those options, and
thus delayed response time?

Would *you* want to be the person who got a dressing down from the
local fire chief because several of your phones had skip-py 1 keys,
people trying to dial 9-1-800-555-1212 kept dialling 911 instead?

There are *many* possible failure modes involving 911:

http://www.911dispatch.com/911_file/911_misdials.html

And for background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9-1-1

It's not as simple as it looks, off topic though it probably is.

Cheers,
-- jr 'learning opportunity' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me