nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:15:22 -0500

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 06:48:08PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
but go ahead and visit a few large companies and tell me how many such warning
labels you see.  as an added boon, note that campuses with blocks of 1000 DIDs
end up using the corporate headquarters or the address of the PBX as the 911
locator for all 1000 (or 10000 or whatever) extensions, making the fire dept
have to select from among 20 different buildings by looking for smoke plumes.

geez, where's the FCC when you need 'em, huh?

They're there, actually.

http://www.qwest.com/pcat/large_business/product/1,1016,989_4_25,00.html
http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrowing/voice/local/psali/

et al.

i think the selective enforcement here is sickening, and that if old money
telcos can't compete without asset protection, they should file for chapter
11 rather than muscling newcomer costs up by calling these things "phone" and
then circling their wagons around the NANP.  but that's not going to happen,
so i predict that the internet will do what it always does-- work around the
problem.  so, domain names and personal computers rather than "phone numbers"
and things-that-look-like-phones.

i've got nothing against 911, and i love my local fire dept.

Glad to hear it.

But it's not as easy as all that.

There are, as I implied in another post, many unobvious end-to-end
systemic characteristics that make the PSTN the PSTN that Internet
Telephony isn't going to be able to fulfill for some time, if ever, due
to the differing fundamental engineering assumptions that underly it.

if there are people out there who want cell-quality voice, are willing to
live without 911, but want to make multiple calls at once with flat rate
billing, they should be able to choose VoIP (or VoPI, i guess).  however,
the FCC seems to have decided that this would be $bad, which i guess from
the point of view of old money telcos and capital inertia, it indeed is.

I'm not sure that one assumption supports the other, but...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me