nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:32:29 -0600

Thus spake "David Barak" <thegameiam () yahoo com>
--- Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com> wrote:
most american PBX's don't have 911 as a dialplan.
you have to dial 9-911.

We work on different PBXes.  The ones on which I work
are specifically configured to respond to 911 OR 9-911
to avoid a problem.  Would YOU want to have been the
person who didn't enable one of those options, and
thus delayed response time?

Flagging 9,11 as the same as 9,911 is problematic since 11 is part of the
standard NANP dialing plan.  You probably won't run into it unless you have
rotary phones (* is 11 and # is 112, IIRC), but it's still valid even for
touchtone users.  You also have problems with someone who intended to dial
9,011 but has a bad 0 key.

Lately I've been running into PBXes that don't require 9 for outside lines;
if they get a dial timeout (or #) after collecting 4 or 5 digits, they
consider it an extension, otherwise they consider it an outside number.
What are they supposed to do when someone starts dialing extension 91125?

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov