nanog mailing list archives

Re: botted hosts

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:49:15 -0400

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:09:51AM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
A lot of people want to use inexpensive broadband connections, and use
mail servers at their university or company.  For whatever reason, the
university and company mail admins only support port 25.  If the ISP
blocks port 25, the university and company mail admins loose their
choice and have to spend money to upgrade their mail servers to support
port 587 or something else.  So there is lots of "cost-shifting."

Do a google search for universities and mail hosting providers that
aren't supporting port 587 and offer to help them update their
mail servers.  When you are finished, then you can advocate ISPs
block port 25.

With all due respect to Sean and others, could we all please read
"block outgoing traffic from your net to other people's port 25" as
including "except for users who request the block be removed" at all
times?

Yes, I realize that it means you have to approach the block slightly
differently, and that it's slightly more work and money to do it that
way.

But it *does*, does it not, fix most of both sides of the problem, if
you do it that way?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me