nanog mailing list archives

Re: solving problems instead of beating heads on walls [was: something about arrogance]

From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph () istop com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

If you want to run seperate networks, run separate networks. Different
ASes, the whole 9 yards; perhaps a re-reading of rfc1930 is in order?

That brings us back to the discussion of PI space.  If de-aggregating my
/20 didn't work, then I'd either inefficiently use IP space in order to
qualify for 2 /20's, or buy a defunct ISP or 2 to get a bunch of /24's in
the 192-223 space.

Are you suggesting that either of those (which don't violate any
RFCs) options are better than de-aggregating my /20?

Your response was something about "I guess you don't consider redundancy
to be intelligent." What's stopping you from using the same two transit
providers in both locations? Seems to me you don't value redundancy all
that much.

I'm currently using Peer1 in Toronto for transit and they don't have a POP
in Ottawa.

Having 2 different transit providers in both Ottawa and Toronto has only a
marginal improvement in redundancy vs provider A in Ottawa and provider B
in Toronto.  Even if I could use provider A in both Ottawa and Toronto I
wouldn't due to the reduced redundancy.

And your assumption about my Ottawa-Toronto link is wrong.  I have a 100M
point-to-point ethernet link between the cities.  I have a 100M transit
connection to Peer1 in Toronto, and have issued a letter of intent to a
transit provider in Ottawa for a 100M link.

-Ralph