nanog mailing list archives

Re: verio arrogance

From: Stephen Griffin <stephen.griffin () rcn com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:34:03 -0400 (EDT)

In the referenced message, Ralph Doncaster said:

That said, their current policy of refusing to accept de-aggregated
prefixes from peers (while accepting such from paying customers) makes
perfect sense, IMHO.  Not arrogant, just a smart & reasonable business
decision.

I have one downstream ISP customer that explicitly asked for "full BGP
routes" to be written into the contract.  Why Verio's customer's wouldn't
want full routes makes no business sense to me.

However a NANOG list subscriber was kind enough to help me get past
Verio's NOC monkeys and get their filters updated to allow my
announcements.

-Ralph

Accepting any route from anyone doesn't make much business sense to
me. At least if you are interested in a quality network. If you'ld
like, I'm sure multiple ISPs would be happy to send you all of their
/32s.

Verio's policy seems like a very responsible way to run a network.
I'm saddened that more folks don't do filtering based upon RiR policy.

Not announcing your largest aggregates is just plain stupid. If your
peers are willing to accept more-specifics tagged no-export, with MEDs,
then go for it, but the rest of us don't need them.

I'm a little disappointed in Verio, if they really did decide to accept
your unneccessarily deaggregated prefixes.