nanog mailing list archives

Re: solving problems instead of beating heads on walls [was: something about arrogance]

From: "C. Jon Larsen" <jlarsen () richweb com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:20:59 -0400 (EDT)

Setup a gre tunnel as your backup "path" for when the physical link goes
down between Ottawa-Toronto if you can't afford a backup physical link.

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

And your assumption about my Ottawa-Toronto link is wrong.  I have a 100M
point-to-point ethernet link between the cities.  I have a 100M transit
connection to Peer1 in Toronto, and have issued a letter of intent to a
transit provider in Ottawa for a 100M link.

Ralph, if you have a 100m link between the two cities, why don't you use
conditional announcements to only announce your /20 though Ottawa if your
primary transit in Toronto goes down? Then, you only need to announce your
/20 in Toronto, no need to deaggregate, and the whole issue is solved.

Then, when you have the Ottawa 100m transit link up, you can announce your
/20 to both transit providers all the time.

That is roughly the intention.  I also have to be able to announce the
more specifics for when the Ottawa-Toronto link goes down.  You could find
in the archives my posts from a couple months back asking how to do this.

-Ralph

--

C. Jon Larsen Chief Technology Officer, Richweb.com (804.307.6939)
SMTP: jlarsen () richweb com (http://richweb.com/cjl_pgp_pub_key.txt)

Richweb.com:
Designing Open Source Internet Business Solutions since 1995
Building Safe, Secure, Reliable Cisco-Powered Networks since 1995