nanog mailing list archives

Re: mail delivery time on nanog-l (was Re: Die thread, DIE!)

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:50:09 -0400

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:38:05PM -0700, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

      Are the contents of the nanog list so incredibly important
that we must get delivery within 5 minutes or less?  If it takes
longer than 5 minutes to propagate, do you get your post free?

I've seen it be better, and I've also seen it be a lot worse. But if
speeding up the mail delivery time can stop the endless supply of useless
replies to things which have already been addressed, I'd suggest it's
worth it.

      Oh wait, the list is already free...hmm.  If you want
near-instantaneous mail delivery, you can have it -- for a fee.
As in all things, you get what you pay for.

And that $300 minimum * 500 people = $150k * 3 = $750k/yr charged at
meetings, that doesn't count?

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras