nanog mailing list archives

Re: .mil domain root only hosted by one server??

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:12:28 -0500

In short: you asked the wrong question.

Once upon a time, Vinny Abello <vinny () tellurian com> said:
These are the results I got when I queried A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET:

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @a.root-servers.net mil.
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mil.                           IN      A

You asked for A records.  Since a.root-servers.net does not have any A
records, and since it isn't a recursive server, it just gave you the SOA
for mil.

If you ask for NS records (like "dig @a.root-servers.net mil. ns"),
you'll see a different picture.

--