nanog mailing list archives

RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

From: "Robert Blayzor" <rblayzor () inoc net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:13:36 -0400

Uh, no.  I have seen spammers use dynamic DNS to use throw
away dial-ups accounts for incoming main service.

Right, but to run a "real mail server" you need a static address.  Which
can be registered as a valid mail server.  Dynamic IP's cannot.

How about moving this to an approriate forum where people
really know spam and mail?  Nanog is for moving packets.
Nanog does not usually care what is in the packet unless it
is a routing protocol.

"The NANOG mailing list is established to provide a forum for the
exchange of technical information and the discussion of specific
implementation issues that require cooperation among network service
providers. In order to continue to provide a useful forum for discussion
of relevant technical issues, the list is governed by the following
guidelines: "

Doesn't mention anything about "Nanog is for moving packets".  An
anti-spam/security discussion seems perfectly acceptable to me.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Exclusive: We're the only ones who have the documentation.