nanog mailing list archives

RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

From: "Vivien M." <vivienm () dyndns org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:02:23 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Robert Blayzor
Sent: August 21, 2002 7:39 PM
To: 'Brad Knowles'
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

Correct, but MX's (mail servers) have static assignments,
unless you change DNS every time.  Running MX's on dynamic
IP's to receive mail would be quite silly.

Then perhaps you'd like to tell me how we have tens of thousands of
users quite happily doing it?

True, I wouldn't run Hotmail/AOL/EarthLink/etc's MXes off dynamic IPs,
but for a home/small biz mail server...

Oh, and one last thing, when you specify an MX (statically, as you say),
you don't put in the IP but rather a name created with A record, so what
prevents that A record from being a low-TTL dynamic DNS A record?

Vivien
--
Vivien M.
vivienm () dyndns org