nanog mailing list archives

Re: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:17:53 -0400

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:51:36 EDT, Jared Mauch said:
      i do think some sort of smtp-callback would be nice/useful
for validation of e-mail addresses.  it'll make it so
the bounces go to someplace at least instead of Postmaster.

The fact that you can call back in no way means that bounces won't
double-bounce into the postmaster mailbox. I'm sure that yahoo.com
would buy into a callback scheme, but it wouldn;t have done squat for
this double-bounce:

... while talking to mx1.mail.yahoo.com.:
DATA
<<< 554 delivery error: dd Sorry, your message to xxxxxxxx () yahoo com cannot be delivered.  This account is over
quota. - mta461.mail.yahoo.com
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

(OK, so THIS double-bounce was a W32/Klez-H generated one, but I get enough
of the same thing for spam with a Yahoo return adress).
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer