nanog mailing list archives

Re: a question about the economics of peering

From: Chrisy Luke <chrisy () flix net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:30:09 +0000

Neil J. McRae wrote (on Nov 30):
yeah don't talk to me about some of the bozo companies I've had
to talk to about "congestion at the peering points" and how they
can wave their magic wand and make all those problems go away.

A current pitch from a certain newish IXP entrant in London is that
they can save me money off my Transit bill. When vendors get their
facts so blatantly wrong about your company, I seriously consider whether
they're worth doing business with - true it's just the sales droid,
but IXen don't need that many sales droids, I thought...

Sounds like something we looked at a while ago - layer 2 interconnectivity
over IP or MPLS for ISP's - we couldn't make the numbers add up though.

It's something I have considered for backup connectivity, but it never
went anywhere. I'm waiting for Nigel to pitch to me, in case his version
makes sense. :)

Chris.