nanog mailing list archives

Re: a question about the economics of peering

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:36:47 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

but what if the *unnamed-ethernet-extension-company* wasn't providing
access to public exchange points, but was rather enabling uncongested
private peering over its network?  That way latency and hop count are
both mimimised.

But, *unnamed-ethernet-extension-company*, to me, only marketed access to
other exchange points.

Also, what does hop count have to do with latency and loss? Especially,
when *unnamed-ethernet-extension-company* is using MPLS/IP (presumably) to
do this?

BTW, public IXen in Europe don't tend to be congested.  Whether this is
the result of better management, or of lower traffic volumes, than IXen
in the US I'm not sure...

Probably better management, is my guess.

Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"