nanog mailing list archives

Re: MBone access

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:09:36 -0500

Jared Mauch wrote:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:09:09PM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
mcast#sho ip msdp count
SA State per ASN Counters, <asn>: <# sources>/<# groups>
    Total entries: 2044

You are missing ASN: 87, 777, 818, 2457, 2607,
3756, 11808.

These all post-date my list (except maybe as 2607) - looks like I need to update my list.

        The other thing is a lot of people have mbgp+msdp but
don't have a source/receiver right now (AS8011 for example) but
have connectivity to multicast internet.

        I'm curious what barriers are keeping multicast from being
deployed at the edges.  Does your upstream not support
multicast connectivity, or is it an education issue in getting
connected?

        Should someone do a presentation @ NANOG on how to configure
multicast in the pim-sm,msdp,mbgp days?  Also, with ssm there
is almost no configuration that will be required other than
turning on pim (and mbgp.. no msdp is needed).

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net

Dear Jared;

I could do this at NANOG 22 if there was any interest. I presented on SSM last time.

I honestly think that the main barrier is inertia, plus a lack of strong customer demand
(as in, people calling up and saying "why can't I get multicast ?"). I think a little
demand would go a long way towards overcoming the inertia.

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624
Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme () on-the-i com     tme () multicasttech com

http://www.on-the-i.com http://www.buzzwaves.com