nanog mailing list archives

RE: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

From: Karyn Ulriksen <kulriksen () publichost com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:35:00 -0800

For several services, we keep a table of inhouse daemon/versions to real
daemons/versions.  We haven't done this on bind yet, but thinking about it
now.  We starting using it on FTP services a few years ago.  That way we
know what version of wu-ftpd or apache (or whatever) we are running on a
server, but the script kiddies don't off the bat.  Some of it *is*
customized, but we have version identifiers for those customized versions as
well.  It's not that big of a hassle to keep track of the map - just a
simple hash to manage.  Best of both worlds.