nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

From: Joe Rhett <jrhett () isite net>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:30:13 -0800

I'm confused.  I get the TLD server operators part.  But you're saying
that you'd only give OS vendors access to this information.  How long does
it take, say, Sun, to issue a patch update?  Wouldn't it be much more
efficient, and useful, to issue the information directly to the people
using the software?  How many people actually use the default vendor
binaries anyways?

Just about every very large company that I've ever worked with. Also,
having spent numerous years working the NAVSEA and other Pentagon systems,
you are explicitly not permitted to install anything other than a
vendor-provided patch.

My god, are there really this many idiots out there that don't grasp how
the world works?

Good.  Reduce yourself to insults and don't even answer the [first]
question.

You're right about the insult, but the point remains -- it doesn't matter
how long Sun takes. He isn't changing how the security information gets to
the world, he's providing Sun a support channel for assistance integrating
the security fix.

In my experience (being a paying Sun support contract customer) I've gotten
security fixes from Sun in a time range from 2-6 hours. 6 hours was the
longest time that I've experienced from handing them a security flaw they
didn't know about until I had a valid patch in my hands.

On a closed circuit channel for security updates.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
JRhett () ISite Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/