nanog mailing list archives

Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 21:17:42 -0400

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 10:40:32AM -0700, smd () clock org wrote:
Ask yourself, as an ISP, how much more you are willing to pay your
transit providers for IPv4 + IPv6 transit, and how you are going
to get the money for that and for the deployment/retraining costs.

Then ask yourself, as an ISP, what benefit you get from IPv6.

        As yourself, as an ISP if you can afford not to be testing
IPv6 today.

        I don't think it's ready for deployment on any wide scale,
due to a number of factors.  However, I do believe it will happen,
and sooner rather then later, due to the demand for addresses.  ISP's
should not be offering it as a service yet, or charging extra for it,
but they better be working on figuring out how it works, so when the
day comes they can convert quickly.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440