nanog mailing list archives

When IPv6 ... if ever?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () MHSC com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:30:45 -0700

From: Nathan Lane [mailto:nathan () terminus com]
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 3:54 PM

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:

The real issue is getting all those routers and switches
deployed. We
can then turn up the clients and servers as needed.

The need for v6, at least for me, is in the deployment of mass
quantities of end nodes.  That I can nearly support today
with existing
infrastructure.  I see little compelling need to upgrade my existing
routers to v6 now; I do see a need for 4000 wireless end nodes at each
of our sites - those could be serviced with a few app servers in the
home office that knew v6 and v4-v6 tunnels [yes, technically
these would be "routers"] at the remote sites.

At six to eight weeks for each
router software release for the bug scrub and six months to roll out
said code, we only have time to do it twice a year.  Adding a new
protocol would be formiddable unless tunelling were used to virtualize
the infrastructure.

1) if one is using tunneling, then we really haven't gone over to IPv6.

2) if one is using tunneling, for leaf-nodes, then how is the core going
to know those leaves are using IPv6?

3) Conservatively, every recent linux node has IPv6 kernel support and
every Windoze box can do IPv6 (not to mention what we have just heard
from the BSD camp <g>). This is over 50% of the leaves out there
(conservatively). At what point is there sufficient market penetration
of the technology to consider rolling  IPv4/IPv6
interoperability/capability on the core routers and switches (something
short of 100%, I would hope)?

4) Is it maybe that Sun, HP, Intel, Cisco, IBM, and the telco's, aren't
all quite ready yet?

5) Admittedly, I haven't had the bandwidth to follow IPv6 all that
closely. But, IPv6 has been pregnent quite a long time.