nanog mailing list archives

Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

From: Dave Morton <dave () manbitesdog de>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 23:28:08 +0200

smd () clock org wrote:

If I charge a customer more for IPv6 connectivity than for IPv4
connectivity, to offset the costs of dealing with ships-in-the-night
routing (deploying it, training everyone to understand it), do you
think my entire customer base is going to transition over to IPv6?

Ask yourself, as an ISP, how much more you are willing to pay your
transit providers for IPv4 + IPv6 transit, and how you are going
to get the money for that and for the deployment/retraining costs.

Then ask yourself, as an ISP, what benefit you get from IPv6.

My answers: not a chance, none, and zero, respectively.

        Sean.

Now we're hitting the nail on the head. Well said Doran !!
dave